Veep: A Hilarious Mess [TV]
This
satirical sitcom of American politics has taken my insulated life by storm, and
I’m thankful for it. It’s a break from the dark, obsessive ambition of House of Cards (which I enjoy) and the
headless-chicken, unfunny and severely uninteresting political opining of my
Facebook feed (which I hate).
That’s
what Veep is for me, really – a
combination of the heady glamour of Hollywood-ized politics and the ugly
reality of its effect on the everyman. I’ve never been invested in any of that,
but I’ve always wondered what it’s like behind-the-scenes, and Veep has pulled the curtain to a(n
exaggerated) collection of moments that nobody is supposed to see.
The
show follows Selina Meyer, the fictional first female Vice President of the United
States, and her posse as they maneouver the political landscape. Instead of a
tightly knit plot from beginning to end, each episode is packed with scenes
that feel like outtakes as they go about staging the veep’s public appearances,
sweating the small stuff instead of focusing on what’s important, furiously
whispering swear bombs at each other. The ambitious foul-mouthed group, which
includes the veep herself, swearing hard and fast with zeal, is all about
damage control, as their poorly equipped leader pursues power and importance by
being concerned about her public appearance.
It
is awkward, and frustrating, and you question how this woman even got to this
position in the first place, but that’s the truth of it, isn’t it, that the
most coveted positions are typically occupied by, in creator Armando Ianucci’s
words, “Big people with small hearts. Stupid people with high IQs.”
The
showrunners were very careful not to make Selina Meyer a Sarah Palin, which
would have been too easy and really not that funny at all. Meyer isn’t entirely
a dumbass – she cusses way too creatively (in one episode, her speech was
edited and she bemoaned being “pencil-fucked”) – but she is definitely
misguided, and her support group is, by association, just as misguided.
That’s
what I love about this show – that, just like in real life, most of the results
of branding happen by accident, handled by a bumbling, anxious, frustrated
team, but most of all, that they run their mouth like I never could, saying
things that I can only think or passively sub-tweet because they’re mean and so
distasteful and disrespectful.
If
you don’t already, watch it. Just be prepared for the lols – they’re quick and
shocking and they don’t give you time to react before they’re on to the next
one, just like comedy was meant to be.



This is spot-on. It's interesting to see all the behind-the-scenes fumblings sometimes result in a photo-perfect finish, which I can only imagine is similar to politics in real life.
ReplyDeleteI want! I loved Julia Louis-Dreyfus in Seinfeld! Haha! Miya-bisto so edad! :-P
ReplyDelete