Easy Fit [Fitness]

One of the best things about living outside of Jeddah is the myriad of fitness and workout options available to me that I'm naturally not taking advantage of, because I'm a well-trained complainer and self-oppressor.

Here in Malaysia, you really have to work hard at making excuses.

Look at these two old dudes just chillin like martial arts villains on an early Saturday morning. Like whatevs.  


See, excuses adjust, too. They're like those people you hate so much: they have feelings, too, and we have to be considerate about them.

In Jeddah, I'd whine about expensive gyms getting in my fitness way. I used to go to Z-Club, where they charged about 3,000 US dollars a year (if you were on a corporate account, you get a USD 1,000 discount on that price). Seriously, wtf.

Now, there's a gym upstairs from my office that charges about USD 300 a year, and that's considered a fancy gym.

WAIT, there's a free gym in my apartment building. It's a few floors below me; it takes about 3 minutes to get there from where I'm sitting typing this.

And guess who doesn't go to the gym? Just... guess. Go on.

Early last year, my friends here managed to convince me to start this running thing again, seeing as how I don't shut up about how I used to be this avid runner (remember 2012, you guys?) like a has-been. Running is really one of the easiest way to jumpstart any fitness goal because all you need are running shoes and a few good articles for proper form.

Just a few options I have available to me:

1- Parks. With runner trails and cyclist trails. Like, what is this sorcery in the real world? What are all these crazy runners and cyclists? I've run at the Kepong Park and the TTDI Park, both with 3k trails. I hear Desa Park is a crowd favorite, but I have yet to go there.

2- My neighborhood. I run for about 45 minutes around my apartment. YES, there is the existence of dogs to be concerned about, but I find that I've gotten used to the fear of having them around me. Makes me run faster, or at least pace myself, if anything.

3- My apartment building. There's a swimming pool, a gym, a basketball court and a tennis court. Wallahi I'm a fatass. In all fairness, I swim for almost an hour when I've REALLY run out of things to do. 

At present time, I'm well into Week 4 of the workout routine I set for myself, and it consists of 3 days of cardio and 3 days of strength training, just at home, because I'm trying to just (re)build the habit of working out. I lost 15kgs since I moved here, but I've regained 5.

So there. That's my dirty secret. What's yours?


Comments

OTHER POSTS BY NESSREEN:

iSold Out.

Freedom of Trash-Talk.

Skinny-Mini Me.

So, Oppression?