The 30th Year [Life & Living]

What happens when you spend pretty much your whole life decrying the fact that you are caged, restricted and denied the smallest of freedoms?

Here's what happens: that's ALL you know to do – decry. In the harsh light of freedom, you become a zombie and you scuttle back into your apartment and into the comfort zone of the internet and continue the only existence you know – American sitcoms and ranting. True story.

To force my adjustment to freedom, I came up with a list of things I should accomplish by the time I turn 31. They were things that I've never done before because of restrictions (either real or imagined), which are now available to me in the Free World (real or imagined).

I'm aiming to do at least 30, for its sentimental value, but I have, so far, only done 10 things from the list, and my 31st birthday is a month away. DOOM IS ME.


Here's what I've done:

VISIT A CEMETERY

I've never been to a cemetery. At funerals in Jeddah, we only go to the mosque to pray. This is a cemetery here in Malaysia.


The Christian side

The Muslim side
I don't remember what I was expecting, but it was a humbling experience. This is where we're all headed, and it puts everything in perspective. Will/Does anything we do matter?


CYCLE IN MALAYSIA

I'm not very good at anything that needs some form of coordination (driving, swimming, existing) and although I know how to ride a bike, I've mostly always feared it. I've since gone cycling a few more times (with proper gear!) for cardio, and I still suck at it, but I'm proud to say I haven't hit any cars yet.



GO TO AN OPEN MIC

Jeddah's underground open mic scene was in full swing when I was there last year, and that was loads of fun, but I had to try it out elsewhere. It's pretty much the same, except I didn't know everyone there. Predictably hipster, but also hippie.

This is Merdekarya, where open mic nights are regularly held.



Stairs going up to the venue, Merdekarya

We got there early, as this guy – the first performer – was setting up.

The kitchen area where they sold drinks and snacks.

The theme was vaudeville, and the main act was a folk band called The Scarecrows.

GO VEGAN FOR A WEEK

My housemate Kathryn and I decided to do this, and with starry eyes, we planned to cook/prepare our own meals throughout the whole duration of this doomed experiment. It was tough to get ANYTHING vegan – we even had to buy special bread from the hipster bakery downstairs our apartment! I had food on my mind 24/7, I was constantly hungry, and nothing could fill that void in my heart except non-vegan food.

Here are some of the dishes we ate. The rest of the time we just ate spoonfuls of peanut butter and Oreos (who knows what kind of shit Oreos have that they're 100% vegan?!). The food we made at home looks horrid, but let me tell you they were simultaneously fantastic and intolerable. It was a confusing time for me and my body.

Fried eggplants soaked in soy sauce. 

Vegan bread with pickles, tomatoes, and more eggplant. Lots of melted cheese was imagined.

Vegan noodles with veggies and crispy fried onions and a side dish of fried bitter gourd and tofu.

Brotip: Indian restaurants are vegan-friendly.
Sauteed chickpeas, beans and sun-dried chili peppers with curried potatoes and carrots, and rice.

A miserable breakfast of smashed potatoes with salt and pepper. 

Vegan selections at a cafe near our place.
Mine was white rice with tofu beef rendang, and Kathryn's was tofu chicken.

At the Arabic restaurant, we had fattoosh, french fries and hummus with falafel. I forgot that mayonnaise wasn't vegan and only (conveniently) remembered after some face-stuffing had occurred. I also had 3dni tea, which had milk and I didn't care anymore because fuck this life. I was starved for animal products.

Mushroom steak with rice. 


WEAR A SARI

Wearing a sari, like raising children, looks easy but is actually a very, very frustrating activity. This challenge was two-fold: to learn how to wear it, and then to wear it in public. With dignity intact. I may not have done either of them well, but I DID IT.

Oh, what a coincidence that Kathryn (right) and I should find ourselves standing right in front of this shop.

WALK BAREFOOT IN PUBLIC

... without getting hurt. Or arrested. This was a suggestion from my Jeddawi friends, and when I did it here in Malaysia, my friend Chuk went barefoot too, in solidarity. I might have also forced him to do so, but who remembers these things?

No you guys, that's not a supermodel, that's me!


SWIM IN A MALAYSIAN BEACH

People don't shut up about the beaches over here, and now I know why.

Obhur's slightly sluttier cousin, Penang's Batu Ferringhi.
That's me on the far right, doing a photo op for PICS OR DIDN'T HAPPEN.


LEARN TO PLAY A SPORT

Up until about a year ago, I always thought futsal was miniature football, like fingerboarding is to skateboarding. It turns out it's like soccer, but at a smaller scale. My friend Aaron donated one of his Sundays to teaching us the basics of the sport at this soccer field right downstairs from our flat. 

I kicked balls.


VISIT A WATERFALLS

I debated whether that should be 'waterfall' or 'waterfalls'.

When we went to Langkawi, one of the few tourist spots that were free to the public was the Seven Wells Waterfalls.


I was robbed of a breath-taking experience by the cockblocker mother nature when it was (probably) low tide and instead of a raging, magnificent water, there was only a trickle. See that wall of rocks to the right? Yeah. 


TAKE A MUAY THAI CLASS

I loved this one, and of course, I don't have pictures because I was too busy being concerned about NOT being that girl who spent more time taking selfies than practicing my stance, good form, kicks and punches. The trainer was a Thai kickboxer, so it was real okay you guys. (Seriously, he was good.)

I'm still hoping to steal a photo for this one, and I will post it as soon as this is accomplished.

Any suggestions on what to add to my list? I already have an extensive one, and friends have contributed to this list (it goes up to 50), but I'm open to anything that a) doesn't cost (much) money, b) I've never done before, especially back home and c) doesn't bring shame to both our families. If you also have a list, share it!

Comments

  1. Go to Mongolia and spend two weeks not showering in the wilderness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go rafting or canoeing! That's what I would do! I LOVE this post. Maybe I should do one like it LOL! Anyway, I really wanted to say, you look lovely in a Saree! xxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

OTHER POSTS BY NESSREEN:

iSold Out.

Freedom of Trash-Talk.

Skinny-Mini Me.

So, Oppression?