The Great Trade-Off [Manila]

Makati is THE Jeddawi spot for real. Srsly, look at this place.



It's not the real Manila, let's be honest here. I've met the real one before, it's not as affluent, not as pretty, not as pedestrian-friendly, not as easy to talk to, THE PEOPLE NOT AS MOTHERFRAKKIN HOT.

I've been here 2 weeks, somewhat adjusted, somewhat still living out of my suitcases. The Real World (which is really any place outside of Jeddah) is twisting my arm into culture shock. Here:

SHOPPING
Things here are about 10% to 40% cheaper than Jeddah. I still haven't gotten out of the habit of converting everything into riyals. I'm annoyed that so many of the brands I buy aren't available here, but the trade-off is that so many of the brands I want ARE HERE. Don't get me started on books. I will need a second job to support my book shopping because THEY ARE ALL JUST LYING AROUND NAKED WAITING FOR ME TO THROW MONEY AT THEM. Whores.

CONVERSAZIONE
The city streets are mean. You can't trust just anyone, and you have to be wary and always alert. The trade off? I've forgotten how easy it is to start a conversation with a stranger - neighbors, other regular patrons of the cafes in my area, joining communities and groups randomly. No underground sneaking around fearing parents angry beards religious police NOTHING.

PRETTY YOUNG THINGS
Fucking hell everyone here is good-looking. I'm talking nice-smelling, attractive, well-dressed, articulate, confident, beautiful, always-mistaken-for-a-celebrity kind of good-looking. It's no surprise my insecurities about my physical appearance has recently resurfaced and taken residence in my clothes cupboard. The trade off is that you have full fashion license. I wear whatever the hell I want, and no one gives two shits. Really.

CUSTOMER CARE
There are tens of thousands of people expecting to be treated like royalty. I have to get in line, no wastah, no cards to play, and just wait my stupid turn. The trade off? ACTUAL CUSTOMER SERVICE. I weep. I weep at the prompt response, the small chit chat, the greetings, the smiles, everything. I weep silently at their feet.

LANGUAGE BARRIER
There are no substitutes to some of my filler words. Last night, in a conversation with some people talking to me at a smoking area, I blurted out ya 7araam, yalla, and a7a, at which points there was a pause as they looked at me in mild, polite fear. There is no trade off here, because I also speak Filipino fluently (YES IT IS FLUENT), and thank god for that. I don't think I'd have survived another city as well if I didn't speak the local language.

It's lonely out here. It's a different kind of lonely, kind of self-imposed, and I'm not sure how this song goes. Not yet. In so many ways, I still do pretty much the same thing - blogging, reading my books, watching my shows, and that's where I'm starting to learn who I really am.

My age is not important here; I have not been asked how old I am since I got here. The entire city is ruled by people my age, and they assume everyone else is just like them.

I can get behind that.

Comments

  1. "I love you. I told you so. I'm so glad for you and proud of you. I don't care if this leaves you embarrassed and all your other readers confused. Those who mind don't matter, those who matter don't mind. And my Good Graces how I miss you."

    Repeat. A thousand times. With every word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back to Philly, Ate Diana! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

OTHER POSTS BY NESSREEN:

iSold Out.

Freedom of Trash-Talk.

Skinny-Mini Me.

So, Oppression?