FTL JUMP! [Manila]
Holy shit, you guys, I did it! I'm no longer reporting live from Jeddah, motherfuckers. I've been here 10 days and I'm in love. It's that lovey-dovey stage at the start of a relationship, when the city and I are just getting to know each other, finding cute quirks about each other, being polite, laughing at all of each other's jokes, and buying each other nice, thoughtful gifts.
Things will surely change, but let's live one day at a time to avoid madness.
Of course the first few weeks will be all about me comparing Manila to Jeddah, and busting my preconceived notions about living in the big bad city (of Makati, for now). So here are a few of them.
Segregation! I'm causing it!
I've lived in the Philippines before, so there are some things that are not new to me. This segregation is, though! I've taken the train a couple times now, and they have started implementing Females Only sections. Ivy tells me it's because they want to avoid mugging and perversions for the commuters. You know what that means! So muggers and perverts are predominantly from the male species. Let's not start this discussion.
Thuggery
Gone are the days of having my gadgets lying around as an invitation for people to steal. When I first moved here, I was all "OMG FREEDOM" and then I realized I couldn't really brandish my phone whenever and take pictures. The city is swarming with muggers and thieves. The good news is that not only do I look poor, I AM ACTUALLY POOR. So I'm mostly safe, if I'm not stupid.
Friends Not For Hire
It's not as easy to meet people and make friends here. I thought it would be. But everyone's weary of everyone else, people are busy and mostly unfriendly. I've met up with my ex-Saudi friends, people I don't have to explain myself to. Once I'm settled, I'll seek out dem nurrdz. I'LL HAVE FRIENDS THEN.
Rain
The weather is fucking psycho. It's hot, then it's cold. It rains like every day. The rain is lovely (I'm from Jeddah OKAY) but only if you're at home watching it. I have to adjust my clothes, shoes and bags to better suit the weather.
Walking
I have never walked so much in my entire life. I'm trying to understand Google Maps vs the actual streets, and to do that, I walk everywhere. Public transport kicked my ass many times already - WHO KNEW THERE WERE RULES FOR FREEDOM?! Assholes here are so strict about when and where to walk, what public transport to take, all that shit. I give myself 2 months to get fully immersed.
I'm basically still a tourist here. It will take some time, but this is home for now. I WILL KEEP YOU UPDATED ABOUT THIS NEW CIVILIZATION.
Things will surely change, but let's live one day at a time to avoid madness.
![]() |
| Hello, good-looking. |
Segregation! I'm causing it!
I've lived in the Philippines before, so there are some things that are not new to me. This segregation is, though! I've taken the train a couple times now, and they have started implementing Females Only sections. Ivy tells me it's because they want to avoid mugging and perversions for the commuters. You know what that means! So muggers and perverts are predominantly from the male species. Let's not start this discussion.
Thuggery
Gone are the days of having my gadgets lying around as an invitation for people to steal. When I first moved here, I was all "OMG FREEDOM" and then I realized I couldn't really brandish my phone whenever and take pictures. The city is swarming with muggers and thieves. The good news is that not only do I look poor, I AM ACTUALLY POOR. So I'm mostly safe, if I'm not stupid.
Friends Not For Hire
It's not as easy to meet people and make friends here. I thought it would be. But everyone's weary of everyone else, people are busy and mostly unfriendly. I've met up with my ex-Saudi friends, people I don't have to explain myself to. Once I'm settled, I'll seek out dem nurrdz. I'LL HAVE FRIENDS THEN.
Rain
The weather is fucking psycho. It's hot, then it's cold. It rains like every day. The rain is lovely (I'm from Jeddah OKAY) but only if you're at home watching it. I have to adjust my clothes, shoes and bags to better suit the weather.
Walking
I have never walked so much in my entire life. I'm trying to understand Google Maps vs the actual streets, and to do that, I walk everywhere. Public transport kicked my ass many times already - WHO KNEW THERE WERE RULES FOR FREEDOM?! Assholes here are so strict about when and where to walk, what public transport to take, all that shit. I give myself 2 months to get fully immersed.
I'm basically still a tourist here. It will take some time, but this is home for now. I WILL KEEP YOU UPDATED ABOUT THIS NEW CIVILIZATION.

Comments
Post a Comment