Happy Birthday, Madonna.

Allow me a little sentimentality.

I bought my Nikon d40x 2 years ago this month, June 2007. Almost a year before my purchase, I had been spending a lot of time in the company of 2 guys and 2 girls, all of whom liked to, as a pastime, drag me with them to early morning breakfasts at Casper & Gambini's in Jeddah while they spent hours boring me with endless talk of photography. They would brainstorm ideas for photoshoots, talk about photo editing and software, and discuss where they could drag me some more for some possible photography in the land of OH, HELL NO YOU'RE NOT TAKING PHOTOS HERE YOU INFIDELS.

I had always felt a little bit left out, as photography was really the only thing I couldn't even stand-up-comedy about. As soon as we settled down with our cups of coffee, they would start blabbing about things I didn't know about. I kept myself entertained with thoughts of gaining back their attention when they drifted away into that elusive, exclusive, bullet-proof world.

I finally did. Get their attention, that is.

I was immediately welcomed into the photographer's circle. Questions were directed at me, people ooh-ed and ahh-ed over my new toy, and Mickey opened an account for me on deviantart.com and surprised me one day with a username and a password, presumably to drag me deeper into their strange circle.

I've come to love photography. I've always been exposed to it, as my father was always a photographer and we grew up developing film in his studio, posing for his SLR, and suffering his lectures on composition.

Thanks to my leisure-loving (FINE. LAZY) nature, I never really took the time to learn photography after I bought my first DSLR, and for the past 2 years, I've been wingin' it.

To celebrate its 2nd year, I will be posting un-edited photos I've been taking. It's funny to see them; especially from my point of view, as most of them (if not all) are, by no means, works of art. I like looking back at the things I did for the "right angle", my attempts at composition, and my struggle with the whole science of it.

My Nikon was named Madonna by my friend Linzi. And those 2 guys and 2 girls? Let's just say I adore them to tiny bits and pieces. This month is for you. Sharifa. Souma. Squeek. Fayiz.

***

"Carousel"
7 June 2007
Aziz Mall, Jeddah

I remember having to steal this shot (like most of my photos taken in public places here in Jeddah). There are 2 things a photographer can do to take a shot here:

1. Steal it.

2. Act like a complete foreigner, a tourist. Feign ignorance of the laws. Bring out the inner non-Saudi. People are more forgiving when they see that you aren't from around here.

***


"MNG"
7 June 2007

I love Mango's sunglasses casings. I used this one for a long time with other brand sunglasses. They're very durable, resisting damage like nobody's business. I've flung this across a room one too many times, and I've even tried to deliberately destroy it.

***

More soon!

Comments

  1. talent aki anan a osto. nah, nah, areken ako ngka san ki babo a madonna. happy birthday niyan. :)

    looking forward to seeing more of your photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. and i love you to tiny bits and pieces! *HUG*
    and your unedited photos are gorgeous ;o) i actually really like carousel...

    ReplyDelete
  3. babypink:
    HAHAHA happy birthday niyan a osto!! Miyarasay mambu. Burara ako sa gamit, eh. Salamat, druggie, ka malo akongka saya psurungen. :D

    souma:
    **HUMONGOUS HUGS** Who would've thought I would take photography seriously? I remember scoffing at you guys. You have really influenced a great part of my life. Thank you for everything. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. i adore you ness. & i'm using the term 'holy settings' from now on.
    i brought my brother's canon G7 to madrid, and i changed the settings & got really overexposed pictures - was so frustrated to get it back the way it is. lol - still practicing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday her camera, As someone just trying to jump in the world of DSLR I am interested in your experience and I would be waiting for the upcoming photos and stories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. kimmi:
    Thanks for reading me, dahling. Haha I know how that feels, to change the holy settings and that trapped feeling coz you don't know how to fix it back. To this day, because I always wing it, I always forget what setting worked best for me.

    precognitive:
    Thank you for dropping by! Hope I get to see your pictures, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awwwwwwww, i get a whole month!! hehehe..

    these posts are awesome.. Maybe i should do what you suggested... only Im not as good with writing :P

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

OTHER POSTS BY NESSREEN:

iSold Out.

Freedom of Trash-Talk.

Skinny-Mini Me.

So, Oppression?