How Mariam Works [Productivity]
This post is part of a small series of Q&As with people I know whom I look up to for doing what they want to do. Here's the previous post.
Meet Mariam (also Mellie).
Where do you live?
In the present moment.
I wish. I live in my head mostly. I spend most of my waking life at Humming Tree, which is in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
Most of the time, I'm just struggling to get my heart, mind and actions to work harmoniously. I also manage a community center and co-working space that focuses on creativity and well-being (Humming Tree).
I love that I get to deal with so many different kinds of passionate people and listen to their ideas and goals and be part of the journey of it evolving into something tangible and seeing that person grow and transform along the way. I learn so much, grow and get inspired along the way, too. It's an infinite cycle of upbeat energy and creation.
The part I like least is when I'm sitting behind a computer writing business documents or figuring out stuff like booking systems. It's quite tedious but it needs to be done. I am very into informalities but I've learned with business and keeping things sustainable, you can't always do that; go with the flow. Discipline and structure are essential so that you can comfortably play between those lines.
I'm not huge into apps and tech. I like to keep things basic. I love (am obsessed with) to-do lists, though. I use Wunderlist.
What do you do?
Most of the time, I'm just struggling to get my heart, mind and actions to work harmoniously. I also manage a community center and co-working space that focuses on creativity and well-being (Humming Tree).
Which specific part of your job do you enjoy the most, and which one do you like the least?
I love that I get to deal with so many different kinds of passionate people and listen to their ideas and goals and be part of the journey of it evolving into something tangible and seeing that person grow and transform along the way. I learn so much, grow and get inspired along the way, too. It's an infinite cycle of upbeat energy and creation.
The part I like least is when I'm sitting behind a computer writing business documents or figuring out stuff like booking systems. It's quite tedious but it needs to be done. I am very into informalities but I've learned with business and keeping things sustainable, you can't always do that; go with the flow. Discipline and structure are essential so that you can comfortably play between those lines.
What are your favorite productivity apps and how do you use them?
I'm not huge into apps and tech. I like to keep things basic. I love (am obsessed with) to-do lists, though. I use Wunderlist.
Do you have a “work” playlist? What do you listen to when you work?
If I'm writing then it has to be instrumental so I can stay focused, so something like:
TheSoundYouNeed
If it's more relaxed work, I will usually listen to music that keeps me pumped and happy:
Nahko and Medicine for the People
That's tough. So many people. If I had to choose one person, I would say my friend Sebastian Lindstrom from What Took You So Long. He has managed to create the perfect balance of doing what he loves (filmmaking), traveling the world, staying grounded yet being extremely outgoing, creating communities and friends all over the world, inspiring people and making them believe in themselves and making an impact.
The main thing I learned from him is that if you have a strong passion for an idea, share it. Put it out there. As fast as you can. That's how things begin to happen. You don't have to do it all alone either. Find a group of people that feel the same way about that topic. I've been implementing this more and it helps filter not-so-great ideas much faster and gives me more time to work on and focus on the things I love and want to keep feeding and growing.
At the beginning of every day I write morning pages and meditate for at least 10 minutes so I detox from all the crap in my head/heart. Then, at the start of my work day, creating a realistic (and not overwhelming) to-do list for the day to focus on and divide into mini 40-minute tasks with 10-minute breaks in between. I don't use my phone during that time.
Space also plays a huge role on my productivity. I need to sit upright on a chair and table to get things done. If I'm laying in bed or slouching on a couch, I will get things done but it will probably take 3x longer.
I like plugging things into calendars so that it becomes more real. It turns from an idea to an event with a date and time! We have a public/shared calendar at work and it helps us stay accountable.
When I need to brainstorm for something and it's just not happening, taking walks has really helped me. I usually come back with an answer or at least clearer direction.
I chase awe. Anything I react to with the slightest bit of curiosity, whether online or offline, I explore it deeper and see if I can/want to implement it in real life. Have an intimate conversation with someone, really listen, be vulnerable. Be open. Travel. I try and participate in as many events and experiences as possible that could change me in a positive way or towards a direction I want. Some online platforms I use are Pinterest, TedX, Youtube, Medium.com for articles, Google Search for whatever topic that sparks interest in me.
Have a strong purpose to what you're doing to go back to whenever needed.
Laptop.
Music.
Sharpies and paper for quick note-taking/doodling on the side.
Water, tea, a snack (most recently it's baby carrots).
Yellow lighting.
A visually stimulating environment.
Write-ups for workshops/events. I have a bunch of templates stuck in my head.
Nahko and Medicine for the People
Who is your career role model, and which part of their work process are you emulating? How’s that been?
That's tough. So many people. If I had to choose one person, I would say my friend Sebastian Lindstrom from What Took You So Long. He has managed to create the perfect balance of doing what he loves (filmmaking), traveling the world, staying grounded yet being extremely outgoing, creating communities and friends all over the world, inspiring people and making them believe in themselves and making an impact.
The main thing I learned from him is that if you have a strong passion for an idea, share it. Put it out there. As fast as you can. That's how things begin to happen. You don't have to do it all alone either. Find a group of people that feel the same way about that topic. I've been implementing this more and it helps filter not-so-great ideas much faster and gives me more time to work on and focus on the things I love and want to keep feeding and growing.
What’s your favorite productivity hack? Do you have a “secret super-hack” that makes you good or better at what you do?
At the beginning of every day I write morning pages and meditate for at least 10 minutes so I detox from all the crap in my head/heart. Then, at the start of my work day, creating a realistic (and not overwhelming) to-do list for the day to focus on and divide into mini 40-minute tasks with 10-minute breaks in between. I don't use my phone during that time.
Space also plays a huge role on my productivity. I need to sit upright on a chair and table to get things done. If I'm laying in bed or slouching on a couch, I will get things done but it will probably take 3x longer.
I like plugging things into calendars so that it becomes more real. It turns from an idea to an event with a date and time! We have a public/shared calendar at work and it helps us stay accountable.
When I need to brainstorm for something and it's just not happening, taking walks has really helped me. I usually come back with an answer or at least clearer direction.
How/where do you get work or career inspiration or motivation?
I chase awe. Anything I react to with the slightest bit of curiosity, whether online or offline, I explore it deeper and see if I can/want to implement it in real life. Have an intimate conversation with someone, really listen, be vulnerable. Be open. Travel. I try and participate in as many events and experiences as possible that could change me in a positive way or towards a direction I want. Some online platforms I use are Pinterest, TedX, Youtube, Medium.com for articles, Google Search for whatever topic that sparks interest in me.
What’s the best work advice you’ve ever received?
Have a strong purpose to what you're doing to go back to whenever needed.
What are your workspace essentials? What does your workspace look like?
Laptop.
Music.
Sharpies and paper for quick note-taking/doodling on the side.
Water, tea, a snack (most recently it's baby carrots).
Yellow lighting.
A visually stimulating environment.
| The Humming Tree entrance area. |
What specific work task can you safely say you’ve done for 10,000 hours (and claim expertise on)?
Write-ups for workshops/events. I have a bunch of templates stuck in my head.
Comments
Post a Comment