Nokia Asha 200

Let us collectively get our heads out of Apple's ass for one second. (I'm going to ignore the fanboys and girls of other OSs, because they're not as vocal about their alleged superiority, kk?)

Nokia was kind enough to not only support us at GeekFest Jeddah Beta, but also to give me a phone for practically nothing. In exchange for this, I'm going to write a review, n00b-like.

I got this phone:

The Nokia Asha 200


It comes in white and black; I would've liked the white one, but pink works. Pink makes it less likely to get jacked by my brothers.

I'm a big fan of the qwerty keypad, that's a plus. It's also very light, not bulky at all, and it feels sturdy.

Just like most everyone else (so shut up already), I started my cellphone-owning path with a Nokia - I've owned at least 9 of them since 2000. I'm not very careful about handling my cellphones, and my Nokia phones have always survived my rough-housing.

I don't see the Asha 200 being an exception to this. It retains that most valuable feature of any Nokia phone - its user-friendliness. I like that it's very simple, straightforward and easy to navigate. Not a rocket scientist? THAT'S OKAY. You should be able to make your way around the menu and get to your Phone Book, no problem.

It has all the basic features of a modern-day cellphone: a music player, a video player, photo albums, a camera (although the camera is quite bad at 2 megapixels, eek), FM/AM radio (which you can record from!), and so on.

Most importantly, I like that someone has finally thought of introducing a very affordable smartphone to the market. This particular model costs SR 280. It has internet browsing and all kinds of apps. I tested the common ones - Facebook, Twitter, GTalk, Gmail, Google and they did not disappoint. They loaded the same speed as my other smartphones (taking into account of course the internet speed here in Jeddah). I got to send an email, post something on my Facebook wall, chat with someone on both Facebook and GTalk, and search on Google, all without a hitch.

They also have game apps, but I'm not really a big fan of phone gaming in general.

The special feature for this model is that it is a dual SIM phone. It's very easy to switch SIMs on this one; you have the option to confirm which SIM you would like to use for phone calls, messaging, and internet access.

For a basic smartphone at SR 280, with internet access that's not going to cost me my arms and legs and at least one sibling pawned, this phone is fantastic. The other phones in the Asha series are just as affordable and they have other features, too. Check them out at Nokia KSA.

Sup?

Comments

  1. Sounds like the perfect budget/mid-range phone, that doesn't go out of its way to be unnecessarily limited or gimped just to make the high-rangers feel elite. I got to handle my sister's (she also won one), and I was impressed with how solid it felt. It reminded me of my first phone; the 3310. I still have it laying around somewhere, and come the Zombapocalypse, I will be using that to communicate. Nokia definitely nailed the "best bang for your buck" category of phones. I wouldn't hesitate to use it as a secondary phone, for gymming or beaching, or any other activity that would have me nervous about taking my overpriced hunk of Apple plastic.

    Good on Nokia for sponsoring a youth event. Goodwill is such an underrated commodity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's beautiful! who cares how it works, it'll make you look good while carrying it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pink so not likely to be jacked by your brothers...typical Maranao thing!

    Anyway, good review,if only the cam was 5MP i'd have starved myself at lunch for months to get one hehehe. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Menelik Seth: Haha! Nokia should look into marketing for the Zombie Apocalypse!

    SherilinR: Not only is it pretty, it's also free! I'm not complaining. ;)

    coralbead: Haha I dunno why I said that, though, my brothers have jacked 2 of my previous phones, and they were both pink. I don't think they care anymore!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

OTHER POSTS BY NESSREEN:

iSold Out.

Freedom of Trash-Talk.

Skinny-Mini Me.

So, Oppression?