The Right Answer.
Interesting thing happened to me today at the salon. So I go with friends to have things done at the salon we always go to, where most of the ladies are Filipinos. We've been going there for most of our nails and eyebrows for a while now, so the ladies know us, they know our stories, our backgrounds, etc. I'm always mistaken for a non-Filipino. Sometimes, Filipinos come up to me asking me where I'm from, because they kinda feel that I'm Filipino, but aren't so sure. Other times, they just assume I'm Saudi or Malay. That's when it's funny, because they start talking about me and I understand everything they say. ( I heart gossip. ) So this one customer, who was Filipina, starts gossiping about me and my friends. She was saying something about how "our kind" (Saudi girls) are too lazy to groom ourselves, how bratty we are, etc. The manicure lady shushes her quickly. "Shh, shh," she says. "This one's Filipina, no! She understan...

Boy, they are optimistic.
ReplyDeleteWhere is it located?
And ambitious!
ReplyDeleteIt's across from Le Meridien hotel.
But it doesn't mean they don't have true intentions.. lol
ReplyDeleteWell, sure, they might have good intentions, but when it comes to such a huge claim from a business, intentions are not nearly good enough.
ReplyDeleteWe can't make huge promises to customers and then not deliver. That's cheating them of their money.
The best way to do it is to make honest claims that you know you can act upon. Not outlandish ones.
It's like if someone promised you that they would never hurt you. Very implausible. Sure, their intentions are good, but if you believed them, you're hurt twice as much when they DO hurt you.
It's about building trust. How do you trust someone who makes such bold claims, especially ones that are obviously bound to fail? It's like they failed (and hurt) their customers before anything ever happened.
Don't make promises you can't keep. The people it hurts the most are the ones you have good intentions towards.
Fair enough, but when you go into a business/ shop or even a relationship expecting it to fail at their promise.. who's being unfair this time? them for being optimistic or you for expecting a failure?
ReplyDeleteI don't think it's about expecting it to fail. There are such things as outlandish claims. This one is one of them.
ReplyDelete"The Search for Great Taste - Ends Here"
Taste is subjective. Is it really possible that there is one entity capable of being made of such great taste that every single person or potential customer who experiences it will agree that it is in fact, excellent?
I went to Solidaire as a customer, and I personally thought it was made with such horrible taste. Granted, I am one person, but I was a customer, and MY search for great taste most definitely did not end there. If anything, it STARTED there.
I didn't go in with the expectation that it would fail. Why would I? I would be spending my hard-earned money. But their claim failed me.
It's the same with a relationship. I wouldn't have trusted a person if I had any suspicion that he would lie to me. The very definition of trust means that you expect the relationship to be a success. I was promised something, I believed it because I trusted that person, his promise didn't live up.
We have to be careful about WHAT we promise. We have to know what we are capable of doing.
We have to honor our claims. That's very difficult to do when our claims are, to begin with, impossible to achieve.