Baby Names.
Cousin Z is having a baby boy in 3 months. Earlier today, we discussed baby names. She says she is having a hard time deciding what to name the boy. It's easier to name a pet, she says, especially with the funky, edgy names she has come up with.
The problem she is having is that whatever she names her son, our Filipino/Maranao relatives would bastardize the pronunciation. Take for instance the following:
(Original name --> Filipino/Maranao pronunciation)
* Fatah --> Patak
* Mohammad --> Mokamad (nicknamed Moks)
* Ejaaz --> Etchas (which means "shit")
* Saleh --> Salik
The original names and their proper pronunciations would be gone in about a couple hours after baby is named. It's pretty sad.
Which is why I have resolved that my kids will not have any of those names. If my relatives are gonna mis-pronounce them anyway, I would at least give them something very difficult to mis-pronounce.
For instance, "Ubuntu".
My name has been bastardized by the lokus (old people) hehehe and honestly I hate it...
ReplyDeletegirl, how about the traditional names that mean negative stuff? lots of them around still.