Achievable Writing Goals
As with all resolutions, my writing goals can’t be too grand or I’ll end up just adding them to the list of things I failed to do.
My achievable writer goals for 2017:
Write about writing.
I’m big on tricking myself into accomplishing things, because it gets things done. My goal here is two-fold: get myself to write regularly, and also actively learn something about the craft. I’ll be posting a lot on this topic, both on my blog and on social media, as part of my learning and practice.
Actually use my notebooks.
Actually use my notebooks.
I’ve amassed a pretty big collection of notebooks, many of them blank because they are just “too pretty” to write on. Aside from that, though, I’ve gone almost completely digital with my notes, having lost so many physical notebooks in the last decade. The fear of losing my notes is a real thing — I love looking back on things I’ve written, years down the road, and I’ve lost so many of them from all the moving I’ve done. All that good stuff (and bad!) just… gone.
I’ve also always been afraid of people getting their hands on my notebooks and invading the privacy of my written thoughts. My solution to this is to actually write my notes addressed to this imaginary “accidental” reader, which is itself a great exercise in creativity.
Focused, conscientious reading.
I’ve also always been afraid of people getting their hands on my notebooks and invading the privacy of my written thoughts. My solution to this is to actually write my notes addressed to this imaginary “accidental” reader, which is itself a great exercise in creativity.
Focused, conscientious reading.
I read a lot of books, articles, magazines and websites just because they are available, and obviously, this is overwhelming when there is A LOT of material I can consume. The result is that most of my reads have not been enjoyable, maybe because I wasn’t really interested in the topic but my completionist brain forces me to see it through to the end, and also that nothing really “sticks.”
This year, I will be more mindful of what I read. And the way to do this is to have reading lists. I already have a list of books and writers I’d like to read, and I’ll go through them instead of winging it, like I’ve always done. I’m excited the most about this one!
Read the books I already have.
This year, I will be more mindful of what I read. And the way to do this is to have reading lists. I already have a list of books and writers I’d like to read, and I’ll go through them instead of winging it, like I’ve always done. I’m excited the most about this one!
Read the books I already have.
Almost everyone I know has this same problem — hoarding books, digital or physical, to not read. It keeps piling up, and I keep wanting to get more.
I have about 10 books on my shelf that I haven’t touched, and thousands of e-books in a desktop folder I haven’t even looked at in years. This year, I’ll read at least 1 of them per month.
Storytelling takeaways.
I have about 10 books on my shelf that I haven’t touched, and thousands of e-books in a desktop folder I haven’t even looked at in years. This year, I’ll read at least 1 of them per month.
Storytelling takeaways.
I love a good story in any form — film, music, show, books, articles, photography. I get so much inspiration from them. But then I forget, because information overload and digital age.
This year, I will write down a list of good things I take away from any story I come across. This one complements my “notebooks” resolution above, because it’s added content for my imaginary accidental reader, and also a reminder of the stories I enjoyed.
Have any writing goals for yourself this year? Share them!
This year, I will write down a list of good things I take away from any story I come across. This one complements my “notebooks” resolution above, because it’s added content for my imaginary accidental reader, and also a reminder of the stories I enjoyed.
Have any writing goals for yourself this year? Share them!

Comments
Post a Comment