Fear vs Faith


We don't always know where our faith lies. Or even what it looks like. Or if it's ever enough to sustain us.

We stumble around in our meaningless existence, with our gadgets and that endless babble of apps running in the background, straining against religion.

"We are atheists!", we cry. Silently. We are not for the rigid walls of any religion, we don't subscribe to these restrictions, these violations on our freedom, these killings of our true selves.

We are young, we are invincible.

We are such strong people. We are so strong we refer to ourselves in the collective. There is no abstract idea that can break us, not words, not heartbreak, not betrayal, not fate nor any series of unfortunate events.

Except maybe something so basic and so physical as literal, unbearable pain.

And only then do we draw on our faith.

"God SURELY wouldn't give me anything I wouldn't be able to handle. For He is All-Compassionate, He is Most Merciful."

That is what my faith sounds like.

It got me through nights and nights of unthinkable pain. I would say this sentence so often that I would only fall asleep urgently whispering the words until it was louder than the pain. I said it to myself even as the doctors, with whom I discovered I had no faith, fussed over me.

You won't know where your faith lies until you are alone, and you refer to yourself singly, and you are faced with your darkest fear.

And you won't know what your darkest fear is, either, until your faith shows up.

Comments

  1. Okay. That was pretty bad. I just wanted to say this - I am from way across the world in Canada and I don't really understand your reality. Unfortunately for you I have been following your blog and podcast for a while now. No - I am not a stalker - otherwise I would have posted before now. I just like you.

    I think an am in is missing in that last sentence.

    I think that you are creative sensitive repressed OCD loving foolish unwavering beautiful fool like the rest of us.

    And yes - I am a Native American.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ness is everything ok? Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. DIMA! Please don't tell me you're back in Spain! We have yet to play squash!

    And yes, I'm ok now. I hurt my back / sciatic nerve and was out for 2 weeks, which didn't help my knee. I know, I know, I'm such a frail person. Haha it's like the more I'm "trying" to be healthy, the less my body can take! Agh!

    Anyway, please tell me you're in town? And if not, when? :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, I won't tell you that I'm back in Spain! came here to have the operation and to be looked after by my mami ;)

    What is it with us two? I've been having lower back pain since the beginning of the year..sometimes I'm ok, but when I'm very active, it becomes unbearable! I'm glad you're feeling bettter now..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Salamaat!! You're a spoiled bebe!! <3

    I know, right? It's like we have sympathy pains or something!! I hope you get better. And since you're there, you know the drill (my number -> hot Spanish dude, etc.) ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

OTHER POSTS BY NESSREEN:

-

The Cure.

iSold Out.

Freedom of Trash-Talk.