#240 ~ Book 21

I FINALLY FINISHED THIS BOOK. What a tool. It took me a month and a week. 


I didn't know who David Niven was until I read this book. Apparently, he was some big-time actor in the 60s. I got this book from Matt (who gave me a whole box of books), and I felt obliged to read it. It wasn't bad for an autobiography, to be honest. It was funny and witty, etc, but most of the time, it read like a drawn-out Wikipedia article. The only thing is that I can't read an autobiography of a person I'm not interested in. It was such a task just to get through 3 pages. Niven has a habit of name-dropping, which didn't work on me because I just didn't know any of the people he name-dropped, aside from Fred Astaire and Frank Sinatra. 

This book proves that there are just some stories that you might think are interesting, but are really not. That's the problem with autobiographies. It's like when someone tells you a very long story about their dream the night before, and you pretend that you're interested, but let's all be honest here. Nobody is interested in anyone's dreams but their own.

No?

Comments

  1. i totally agree. if you want to tell me about your dream, sum it up in 2 sentences or less or just keep it to yourself.
    so many books are boring, they're just not worth the time spent reading them. too many great books in the world to waste time reading the boring ones. if i don't get interested after a couple chapters, i put it down & move on to the next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha yeah, exactly! Sometimes, I'd also listen to a story about someone's dream if it was really REALLY outrageous and hilarious. Otherwise, meh.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

OTHER POSTS BY NESSREEN:

-

The Cure.

iSold Out.

Freedom of Trash-Talk.