We don't always know where our faith lies. Or even what it looks like. Or if it's ever enough to sustain us. We stumble around in our meaningless existence, with our gadgets and that endless babble of apps running in the background, straining against religion. "We are atheists!", we cry. Silently. We are not for the rigid walls of any religion, we don't subscribe to these restrictions, these violations on our freedom, these killings of our true selves. We are young, we are invincible. We are such strong people. We are so strong we refer to ourselves in the collective. There is no abstract idea that can break us, not words, not heartbreak, not betrayal, not fate nor any series of unfortunate events. Except maybe something so basic and so physical as literal, unbearable pain. And only then do we draw on our faith. "God SURELY wouldn't give me anything I wouldn't be able to handle. For He is All-Compassionate, He is Most Merciful." ...
Sink or swim. Everybody needs friends to go swimming with. To remind them of the things that make them happy despite bad decisions, despite misfortune, despite turn of events. Some friends don't know how to swim, they just stay in the shallow end. Some are excellent swimmers and teach you how to swim or tread water in the deep end. Some sit by the pool and wait for you, or come and sit on the edge so, feet in the water, and chit-chat with you about video games while you enjoy the water on a hot day. Some tell you to pull up your bikini top. Some get competitive in the water and just want to race, and whoever wins or loses doesn't really matter, as long as they had that rush of competition. Friends bring their kids and trust you to look after them while they go change into their swimsuits. Some don't even swim, they just come over in their regular outfits to have a smoke and enjoy the weekend. With you. The stuff you will remember in the future. Swimming pools are a lot like...
So there's this guy on my Facebook friend list who's really annoying. Classic fuckface behaviour. He makes uneducated hypotheses, calls everyone stupid (except himself, it's hilarious if it weren't so annoying), and makes all these really fucking stupid generalizations and arguments. Very offensive guy. All of this on Facebook status updates. I know, I can just easily delete him, and move on and stop complaining about how offensive (and stupid) he is. It would save me from seeing all his comments and just shut him up. He can exist somewhere else beyond my hearing (or my feed). But then what about Freedom of Speech? Does he not have the right to voice his own opinions, just as I fiercely defend mine? Would I not be stepping on his rights or freedom by deleting him, shutting him up? Could I not give him his little FB space to stage his little rants and beliefs? I do not have to accept his views, but I must respect his right to have them and say them out loud. So what if t...
There is only one place (at least that I know of) to get what Sera and I consider the best Filipino food evarr, the Tocino. This place is popularly known as The Filipino Market, but among Filipinos, it's just called Sarawat (because that's its name). -- My parents tell me that this mall used to be the hottest, most popular mall in Jeddah back in the 70s and 80s. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that was probably because it was the only mall back then? -- The Disco Ball in the waiting area. Now, the mall is a hub for Filipino expatriates. It's also a popular place to get your camera and electronic needs.
mmmm...can we talk....;)
ReplyDeleteJames Franco is not only hot, but an amazing actor and supervillian/friend.
ReplyDeleteAlso he plays a great stoner.