Change!
Good news first.

I've succeeded in training myself to sleep a couple hours earlier than my usual 4 a.m. YAY! Around last month, I'd force myself to get offline by 2 a.m. (at least most days). I also stopped using the laptop, writing my reports, and doing all manner of work in bed. (No, that's NOT WHAT SHE SAID!)
The good news is, I'd get sleepy at or around 2 a.m. now! Next goal: 1 a.m.
The bad news is, I don't think I'm sleeping tonight. I just got a new phone, and I'm figuring it out. I love this part, the Clean Slate.
So I like my new phone. I like how it looks, I've learned to use it for the most part. I was a little disappointed that it's nothing new, really. I should've researched more before I bought it, because I thought it would be... something more than what it is.
I had this phone in 2005 (or something like it, I forget the model now)

It worked on Windows Mobile, as does the new one, a Sony Ericsson Experia (which by the way, I've named, not surprisingly, The Burkina-Faso, as I've been dying to use that name. God help my future kids, if I have any.) and I guess that's a good thing because I'm very familiar with it.
It's just that I was ready for something new. And this wasn't. So of course, a few hours after I'd started playing around with the features, I had (bad, bad) thoughts of selling it and getting the iPhone. Never mind that I did a little bit of research before I went phone shopping (okay, a TINY bit of research) and decided that I didn't like the way the iPhone looked.
Now, however, khalas. I bought this phone and I must take full responsibility for my choices. *sniff* I shall keep it for a year and hopefully, we get used to each other and I stop treating my gadgets like they were people.
Some of the things that frustrated me:
* Several times after downloading and installing a program or application, the phone would reset and turn on the Arabic settings so that everything is completely right-to-left, in Arabic! The first time this happened, I ended up learning all the Arabic words for the options. It took me about an hour to second-guess my way to the language settings. The online support did not help me AT ALL. *writes a letter to the management*
* I suddenly remembered why I gave up my Q-Tek years ago: I do NOT like touch-screen displays. I remember shopping and having to pause, put down all my stuff, and get my stylus pen out to send an sms. For this phone, I don't have to do that, because it has a slide-out keypad, but I would still have to use both hands.
* I have to position my hands when I'm typing an sms so that I don't accidentally press the volume and the camera buttons, which are on the area where my index fingers would naturally rest while typing and clutching the phone. Whenever I do press the buttons, the cursor goes berserk and poltergeist-ish on me.
* The font is tiny. Even at it's largest, it's small. (THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!)
* The earphones that came with it were those ones that I hate, with adjustable ear-muff thingies that are so irritating. I still love my iPod earbuds.
* The camera is 3.5 megapixels. And slow. But awesome focus!
* I wish I could change the phone display instead of that boring Windows Mobile default. Yes, it has all kinds of themes and "customized" display options, but it's really just the same.
* I can browse with the cool Opera browser, but the screen is actually too small for me to enjoy my Facebook. I have to zoom in and then scroll up, down, left, right.
So far, that's all I'm whining about. I don't know about the battery yet, but I just recharged it and now, it's one bar less. I'm guessing it should last a full day before I have to recharge, taking into account how much I'm going to be playing around with it, at least for the first few days.
I'm glad I bought the black one, as it would be easier to pass down to one of my brothers if I really got sick of it. Couple years ago, I fancied a pink mobile phone, used it for about a year or less, got sick of it (mainly because it was pink), and passed it on to one of my brothers, who liked the phone, but had to endure the pink. Endure The Pink. Hmm. Potential book title.
Also, I like black.
I'm writing this post while setting up the phone at the same time: adding files, contacts, multimedia, etc. and I am getting more and more used to it.
I'm hoping things work out.
***
Oh, apparently, some of the Maranaos I trash-talked have been reading my blog. Thanks for passing by. If you don't like what I write, here's a middle finger. You can sit on it.
Ta for now!
Comments
Post a Comment