102.

I obviously didn't make myself clear in my last post. I admit it, this is me on Defensive Turbo.

In retrospect, I realize that my last blog entry is not a good reflection of my professionalism as an event photographer. It doesn't matter that I was ranting on a private blog, or that I was being sarcastic, or that I exaggerated some aspects of my story for entertainment value. It doesn't matter that it was a private, personal note, not really intended for all to read, especially of course, the subject of the post. 

Because nothing is ever private online, is it? Because it was published online, I compromised my (young) reputation as an event photographer and exhibited how "nicely" I take to challenging situations, how "quickly" I can adjust to an unexpected occurence, and how "excellent" my people skills are. Look how I talked about my client. Who's gonna want to hire me now?

And yet, I do not apologize for that post. Call it stupidity. Arrogance. Vanity. 

I call it Freedom of Speech. (Yes, I am referencing Hning Swara's last post.)

I love parties, gatherings, get-togethers, celebrations, events, and I love being in the middle of it all. I love meeting people, talking to them. I love capturing moments. I love people's good angles, the angles that highlight their best features, and I love taking a photo that show these because I love seeing how delighted people get when they see very nice pictures of themselves. Event photography gives me all that. Getting paid to do something I love is a very, very pleasant bonus.

But this is the one thing I did not get into for the money. Maybe someday in the future, when I no longer enjoy event photography because of all the complications and politics, but that it is the only way I can earn money, maybe then, I can shut up and "allow people to beat me up as long as they pay me good money". (Not unlike my current job. But that is a whole different unprofessional blog entry. Might even get me fired.)

What are the things that I "whined" about in my last post, and why did I whine about them?

I suppose because photographers are inherently arrogant and snobbish, or at least considered by many people to be so, I wrote the last post for my photographer friends in Jeddah so that I wouldn't have to explain everything. 

THIS post is for all my other friends that I overlooked, who did not understand why exactly I couldn't just suck it up. 

Photographer and Client responsibilities are pretty uniform the world over. Because Jeddah's culture is unique, magnificent and better than all other existing cultures, we have to make a few adjustments. In order to have a nice, trouble-free experience, both parties should be aware of these responsibilities and perform their duties as much as they can. This ensures that the Photographer does what he is paid to do, which is to take pictures of the event (which would of course include the venue, the guests and everything that takes place during the event), and it as a result, the Client gets what he paid for, which are the pictures of said event. 

Here are some of the photographer's responsibilities:

1. Before the day of the event, Photographer needs to have a meeting with Client to discuss what services Photographer can provide, how much this would cost, what Client requires, and any other special requirements. In the case of Jeddah, this special requirement is: there may be some or many guests that do not wish to be photographed for whatever reason, and Photographer could get in trouble (legally) if she doesn't follow this.

2. Photographer is responsible for bringing the necessary equipment to get the job done. This is also one of the main reasons why a Client hires a photographer in the first place. Photographer comes with equipment AND expertise on use of those equipment. Otherwise, why not just save some money and assign cousins/friends to take pictures with their cameras throughout the event?

3. Photographer should be able to adjust to emergency situations, or such things as change of weather, a malfucntioning equipment, etc. 

4. Photographer should follow Client's requests on how, when, where, or whom to be photographed as long as they had agreed on these beforehand. Photographer has the right to express herself creatively when taking pictures as, again, this is another reason Photographer has been hired.

5. If the Photographer promised x number of photos, she should deliver.

6. Photographer must make sure that she is not taking pictures of anyone who requested not to be taken pictures of and must respect their wishes/choices.

7. Photographer must be quick and creative when taking pictures, and must as much as she can, stay out of the way of the guests or the actual event. She should not depend on others to do her job for her, things such as checking the correct lighting, etc, although she may bring a personal assistant.

8. Photographer must not be rude to anyone at the event.


As for the client:

1. In Jeddah ESPECIALLY at female gatherings where most women do not wish to be photographed in outfits that are not their everyday hijab, Client must inform all guests that there is an official photographer. Client must inform guests (in case they don't know or don't understand) that the pictures taken are not for Photographer's personal use, but for the Client's (unless otherwise stated in agreement). This would eliminate the Photographer's having to repeatedly explain what she is doing, during which time she could be taking pictures instead.

The rest is explained in this sample from photographer Connie Hacket:

Responsibilities: Unless agreed upon in advance, Connie Hackett shall be the exclusive photographer retained for the event. Photographer may bring one assistant at her discretion. Videographers and other vendors as well as semiprofessional photographers must not obstruct or interfere with the official photography and are not allowed to take any still photos during formal sessions. Wedding guests may take photos, but it is the responsibility of Client to prevent family and friends from interfering with Photographer's duties. Photographer is not responsible for compromised coverage due to causes beyond her control such as other people's camera or flash, the lateness of the bride, groom, family members and bridal party members or other principles, weather conditions, schedule complications, rendering of decorations, or restrictions of the venues or officiate. Photographer is not responsible for existing backgrounds or lightin conditions which may negatively impact or restrict the photography coverage. Client agrees to confirm the schedule one-week prior to the event and to send the Photographer a copy of th invitation prior to the wedding. Notification of any changes in schedule or location must be made in a timely manner. Changes can be made by phone with a follow-up email for documentation. If email is sent, confirmation of receipt must be obtained.

Harassment: Ensuring the appropriate behavior of all guests and other persons at the wedding and other events covered by Photographer shall be the responsibility of Client. In the event Photographer or her employee experiences any inappropriate, threatening, hostile or offensive behavior from any guest or other person at the wedding or other event (including, but not limited to, unwelcome sexual advances and verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature) then the following process shall be followed: first offense: a verbal warning will be issued to a family member of the client; second offense: the offending person will be required to leave the wedding or event; third offense: Photographer will end wedding coverage immediately and leave the event, Photographer shall be entitled to retain all monies paid hereunder and client agrees to relieve and hold Photographer harmless as a result of incomplete wedding or event photography coverage.

***

It is common practice among guests of an event to ask a photographer to take a picture for them using their (the guests') own cameras. Although it is good for the photographer's reputation to be "kind" and "nice" enough to do it for them, most of the time, it is not worth it to compromise her current responsibility to her current client for the benefit of gaining potential customers from the guests. This interferes with the photographer's job. It is the Client's responsibility to inform the guests of this, and to let them know that if they want copies of any of the photos taken by the photographer, that they should approach the client herself after the event. 

The reason I whined about this is because (Jeddah) clients have a bad habit of blaming photographers for a lot of things that they were not responsible for. A good understanding of what is expected from both parties should cover both asses.

This is not just whining for whining's sake (I hope), but a call for anyone reading who would like to hire a photographer in the future to be a responsible client, to understand the services that he/she is paying for, and to make sure they get their money's worth and at the same time, not treat the people they hire like shit.


***
In other news, this is probably the most humiliating blog post I've ever had to write. I shouldn't have to explain myself to anyone. I shouldn't have to be so defensive. This is one of the reasons I've come to despise blogging - because it is just much too public, and there is too much responsibility involved, even when it's private blogging. 

Freedom of speech does not mean you can just say whatever you want, whenever you want, wherever you want. It means you can, but you also accept the fact that people will hold you responsible for what you say, and that you WILL be asked to explain yourself. 

Not so much freedom, is it.

Comments

  1. So that's what you think of us, arrogant snobs? Oh, is that it? Huh? HUH?
    ========
    Autistic tendencies aside, isn't there supposed to be a basic contract between photographers and clients? Ever thought about asking the pros, like Samia or whatnot?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL you can just ask your non-photographer friends that question, and tell me if they:

    a) Shift their eyes to a distant point and say "What? No!"

    or

    b) Laugh nervously and say, "Naww. Anyway, you're allowed to be."

    Photographers tend to be arrogant maybe to compensate for the fact that they are always under-appreciated for their skills. How many people do you know say "If I had nice equipment like that, I can take nice pictures too, if not better!"?

    About the basic contract, yes, there is a standard, especially for here in Jeddah. I have one myself, and I do use them, but contracts here have no value. The last two posts are targeted to (future) clients of photographers to give them an idea (hopefully) about why it is very important that they have an open relationship with their photographer and that they should be responsible.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

OTHER POSTS BY NESSREEN:

-

The Cure.

iSold Out.

Freedom of Trash-Talk.