Doc.


Most everyone I know be needing doctor this week.

Mother went for her routine check-up this morning. I have a special relationship with her. By that, I mean I don't ask her about her health, and she doesn't tell me about it. It's pointless. The constant complaining, when she won't budge and change her lifestyle because she is way traditional and, much as she won't admit, very superstitious.

I'm one to talk.

Anyhoo, she finds out that she is, in fact diabetic. Luckily for her, my father, himself diabetic, has a headstart. They are over-hauling their diet. It's almost exclusive, the re-organization. I eavesdropped as they discussed it.

"No more of your 3-times-a-day rice meals. We must go grocery shopping for healthier food."

"Yes, but I still have to cook normal food for the kids. Or else they won't eat. More work for me. I must be the most unfortunate housewife that ever lived."

So for the past hour, I have been bookmarking websites that can help them plan their meals. It's ironic, isn't it, given my penchant for all things (un)healthy.

***

SPOILER-SPOILER-SPOILER-SPOILER-SPOILER-SPOILER

Seven Pounds. Will Smith.

Will Smith is an excellent actor. So is Woody Harrelson. Amazing stuff. But I really didn't like this movie. I was not moved by it. There was too much confusion in the beginning. And then the "nobility" of his actions almost made me sick. I recommended the movie to my friends, and watched them as they watched the movie.

Lo and behold. I saw tears. Tears! Everywhere! 

Am I that cynical? Maybe. Selfish? Yes. That's why I wasn't moved. The selflessness of his character did not move me. I felt like it was such a waste of life. There was so much more he could have done, had he planned it better, had he not let his emotions take control over his decisions.

I've said it before. We must respect life. 

Comments

OTHER POSTS BY NESSREEN:

-

The Cure.

iSold Out.

Freedom of Trash-Talk.